Friday, March 11, 2011

What exact front and rear differential does my Ford Explorer have?

I have a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4, Automatic, 4.0L V6, and I've got a slight oil leak from the front differential's pinion seal. This isn't particularly concerning to me, given its long and healthy life so far of 214,000mi. However, I plan to rebuild the differential and replace the seal in the upcoming weeks, and figured that I may as well at least drain and refill the rear differential as well. (Ford says not to check or drain the rear unless a problem is suspected, however after 200k+ miles, I think a little peek and some fresh oil is in order.) Problem is: I have been presented with a few options (by Auto Zone) as to which rebuild kit to buy. For the front, I have the option of the Dana/Spicer 28 or Dana Spicer 35 front axle. For the rear, I have the option of the Dana/Spicer 35 or the Ford 8.8" ring gear. Can someone perhaps help shed some light on this subject, and inform me (based upon the information provide above) as to which front and rear differential I actually have/need to buy the rebuild kit for? Thank you so much in advance for your time to read and reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment